Sign up to get the latest updates
About Representative Paul Evans for House District 20
Welcome to my website. I am excited to announce that on Nov. 7, 2017 I filed for re-election.
Serving my hometown and surrounding community in the Oregon Legislature is a privilege, a duty, and a leadership role for which I am profoundly grateful. Advocating for the Oregon we know possible is the mission of a lifetime. Together we can and will continue to build a shared vision and facilitate progress towards that vision; together we shall reclaim the promise of our place, and our people.
Three principles guide my actions: leadership, community, and service.
Leadership is the art of bringing people together in common cause. Growing up in Monmouth, I learned the meaning of service through the example of my family, our church, and the volunteers who made our community work.
Since that first election to the Monmouth City Council in 1988, I have been working hard to develop skills and tools associated with principle-based leadership. As a city councilor, mayor, and school board member I learned how local government functions. As a military officer I saw how large bureaucracies tackle complex and often complicated responsibilities.
As a college teacher I have witnessed first-hand the difference an opportunity for personal development can play in the life of a student, their family, and our community as a result. As a former senior advisor for a governor, and now as a state legislator, I understand the value of experience, intellectual curiosity, passion, and targeted policies.
We need leaders who understand the importance of putting the needs of our community ahead of themselves; we need leaders who inspire us to tackle our challenges with commitment, determination, grit, passion, and heart – we need servant leaders who demonstrate “service above self.”
Since 2015 we have accomplished the following:
- Our state has made voter registration both easier and more secure,
- We established retirement security, protected access to full-spectrum healthcare for all women,
- Our state made real progress towards a more sustainable economy and world through landmark environmental legislation on clean fuels and the transition from coal to renewable energies.
Right now, we are:
- working on implementing new veterans’ outreach and services made possible through the passage of Ballot Measure 96;
- developing administrative procedures for seismic resiliency grants associated with the “Lend-Lease Bill” and enhancing resilience tools and disaster mitigation partnerships at all levels of governance;
- working with subject matter experts, community leaders, and policy advocates on facilitating legislation related to lowering tuition, expanding the Oregon Youth Conservation Corps;
- confronting global climate change, and
- fostering new approaches for private-sector innovation including strategies simplifying the patent process for Oregon inventors.
The future is coming at us fast. We will continue to reach out to each and every person with an idea to share, a commitment to make our community better, stronger, and more resilient, and the passion to act. Now is the time for experienced leaders to seize the opportunities before us and shape a future worthy of our people, worthy of our place. Together we can do this, together we will do this, but only together.
Representative Paul Evans
Oregon House District 20
If you have legislative questions please call my office at 503-986-1420