Sign up to get the latest updates
Representative Paul Evans for House District 20
Welcome to our campaign website.
This is a space for you: This is a collection of information relevant for the 2020 General Election. I am grateful for the past six years as your voice in the Oregon State Capitol. Over these past six years we have made real progress for our people and place.
The following is a list of some the accomplishments we have made together since 2015:
- We passed paid family leave, paid sick leave, pay equity, predictive scheduling, and region-specific increases in the Minimum Wage for working families;
- We passed the Student Success Act ending decades of disinvestment in our public schools through an investment of over $1,000,000,000 in early education, K-12, education, and student-centered support programming;
- We defended the Low Carbon Fuels program, decreased lethal pollutants in certain plastics, and took action to end Coal generated power by 2040;
- We passed common-sense firearms safety legislation that closed the “private sales,” unmarried partner, and “stalker” loopholes, with increased funding for Oregon State Police background checks;
- We passed House Joint Resolution 202B that went before the voters as Ballot Measure 96 (passed by the People of Oregon with over 84%), permanently setting-aside 1.5% of Lottery Revenues for veterans’ outreach and services throughout the State of Oregon;
- We secured funding for local priorities:
- Seismic rehabilitation of the Center Street Bridge
- Critical remodeling and new construction funding for Western Oregon University
- Greenway improvements for the Independence Landing Project
- Match Funding for the Mike Mc Laran Center for Student Success
- Improved access to the YMCA Court-Care program for working families
- Significantly increased funding for affordable housing and wrap-around services
- Targeted resources for career and technical education for students in the Central and Salem-Keizer Schools
We have made real progress, but we have more work to do.
Getting things accomplished takes hard work, patience – and a dedicated team. Together we can continue to move our nation, state, and community forward — but only together.
The clock is ticking. We have precious little time remaining to make our case before people begin to vote. Ballots will be mailed soon. This means we have precious little time to reach each, every voter in House District 20
We are in a tough fight against an opponent that has already spent over $475,000 of family wealth (since June). She may spend as much as $1,000,000 in a desperate last-chance effort to buy a seat in the Oregon Legislature.
In an era where millionaires routinely demonstrate an ability to overwhelm grassroots candidates through spreading half-truths, mischaracterizations, and lies – our best weapon is the truth. We fight back – one voter, one conversation at a time – through sharing our story.
Your talent, time, and treasure are the critical elements of success in this campaign. Your contributions, phone calls, texts, written letters to the editor – all make a difference.
One afternoon of calling, one evening of addressing postcards, one donation, one letter to the editor can mean the difference between holding onto House District 20 or seeing it slip away.
Please join me and many of your friends and neighbors in our efforts to keep our legislative District in the hands of the people, not the privileged few.
Representative Paul Evans
For the most current COVID-19 information, visit:
Please Note: If you have legislative questions please call my office at 503-986-1420
Tune into recent candidate forums!
Monmouth/Independence Chamber of Commerce Candidate Forum — October 8, 2020
NAACP Salem-Keizer Candidate Forum — October 8, 2020
West Salem Neighborhood Association Candidate Forum — October 12, 2020